BETTERING AMERICAN POETRY VOLUME 2 IS THE SECOND ANTHOLOGY IN THE BETTERING AMERICAN SERIES, CO-EDITED BY:
Kaveh Akbar / jayy dodd / Joshua Jennifer Espinoza / Muriel Leung / Camille Rankine / Michael Wasson
Nominations for Bettering
Poetry Volume 2 are now closed! Thank you to everyone who sent in work. Y'all make this anthology possible.
- Nominate poems published in 2016 in any format, small press ventures included. Send poems to BetterAmericanPoetry@Gmail.com
- Include poet’s name, title of poem, date & title of publication the poem appeared in, and online link to the published poem or to the publication the poem appeared in.
- You may nominate your own work or someone else’s but please limit nominations to three poems.
- Both publications and individuals may nominate work.
- U.S. citizenship NOT required.
- Poems may be in any language if accompanied by an English translation.
- Due to time & space constraints, please avoid nominating exceptionally long poems.
- Deadline to nominate April 15th, 2017.
We want work that is unafraid to look, to shake shit up, to speak. We are interested in poems that challenge patriarchal and white supremacist power structures. We love poems that burn misogynist, homophobic, ableist, transphobic, racist, xenophobic attitudes and behaviors at the core. Poems that critique the dominant culture and flummox the status quo, that speak with voices historically misrepresented, underrepresented, censored, and silenced make us sit up and listen hard. We want poetry that revolts, disobeys, mucks up the accepted order and betrays nepotistic allegiances. We long for poems that sting, love without fear and exist without fear. We want to swoon over your clashing engagements with the world.